Visualize this: You’ve just stepped out of the airport in Lomé, Togo. It’s 77 degrees out and you’re welcomed by a greenery of palm trees and the sun’s warm embrace on your skin. All around you, you see beautiful representations of yourself, welcoming their loved ones, welcoming you. Magic and Melanin. You’ve arrived in West Africa, the land of your ancestors. You are home.
Magic and Melanin’s West Africa Tour is aimed to ignite this feeling of homecoming within you. We’ve all been to Wakanda and fell in love. Here’s an opportunity to take this connection with the motherland a step further and explore, discover, reconnect with the real nations of the African continent, each so diverse and enriching.
Now’s the best time to reunite with Mama Africa.
What’s Included in Magic & Melanin’s West African Immersion:
Our trips consist of 6 days in Togo, 3 days in Benin, and 5 days in Ghana.
Trip Dates: December 26, 2019 – January 10, 2020 — *sold out*
Program cost includes:
- Transportation between Togo, Benin, and Ghana — sit back, relax, we got it covered.
- Room and board: local hotels and guest houses will host MM West Africa, creating an intimate yet independent living experience. We’ll have plenty of group activities during this experience, but you’ll also have time to explore on your own or with friends.
- 2 meals per day will be served and/or sponsored by local restaurants. Experience authentic West African dishes. Fufu, plantains, jollof rice… Your mouth’s watering already.
- Excursions throughout Togo, Ghana, and Benin: the West Coast of Africa is full of remarkable landmarks and breath-taking natural scenery.
- Beach days on beach days on beach days! Need I say more?
Welcome to West Africa, take in the air and plant your feet — you have arrived to the motherland! Our local shuttle service will pick you up from the Lomé airport and after a quick stop to drop off our visa requests, we will head to the home of Dossé-Via’s grandmother for an authentic West African welcome lunch and orientation.
Get ready to be immersed into Togolese culture as we travel through the city and visit the Grand Marché, the marketplace in the center of Lomé, for souvenir and fabric shopping.
We hope that you are well-rested for an early road trip to the Kpalimé mountains and waterfall. We will have lunch in the local village, travel to the valley of bats and then hike to the beautiful Kpalimé waterfalls to take in the wondrous scenery of Mother Nature.
After a morning visit to “La Maison des Esclaves”, a historical landmark in Togo where enslaved Africans remained. Partake in cooking and West African dancing class in the afternoon.
Trip to Ouidah, Benin, where the voodoo religion originated. We then spend the evening shopping and exploring Cotonou, Benin’s largest city.
Early rising for our mini adventure to the floating city of Ganvié.
We will visit local sites and museums including Porte de Non-Retour and the Royal Castle d’Abomey, the site of the Dahomey women warriors. We’ll then return to Togo and debrief about our experience thus far before we get ready to head to Accra.
Rise and shine travelers! Get ready to set out on another adventure to the bustling city of Accra, Ghana. You’ll immediately notice the difference between the chill beach town of Lomé and the busy city of Accra. After checking into the hotel we will take you to Jamestown, a small town known for their Lighthouse and boxing culture.
We have experienced so much, take today to rest or to explore Ghana’s rich history by visiting the Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park and local artisan shops to buy authentic kente cloth and West African Art.
Today is sacred and historical as we take a road trip to Cape Coast, where enslaved Africans were forcibly kept during the transatlantic enslavement trade. Take in the history of our ancestors and pay homage to their strength and journey as well as yours and for having the courage to return.
Peaceful canopy walk in Kakoun National Park before heading back to Accra.
Free day exploring Accra.
We return to Lomé for our last night on the continent. Use this day to reflect and debrief and take in all that you have experienced. We will have a Farewell dinner with your favorite West African cuisines and music to send you off with, along with the memories and stories of a lifetime.
Depart Togo & head back to Newark
Your investment will cost between $2400 (without flight included) – $3600 (with flight included).
Your trip includes:
- Room & Board for all 14 nights in top-rated hotels (rooms will be shared with 1 other person; two beds per room)
- Transportation from and to the airport
- Ground transportation in Togo, Benin and Ghana
- Breakfast & dinner daily + two group lunches
- Entry fee to local museums and excursions
Choose Your Package:
- $3600 (includes a roundtrip non-stop ticket from Newark Liberty Airport to Lomé + everything written above)
- $2400 (includes everything written above but this price option does not include airfare and you’d be responsible for booking your own flight to and from Lomé)
“I think that the host did an INCREDIBLE job at hosting the group. They showed up for every individual person in the most dynamic way possible! Being able to really connect and build rapport with our hosts, the staff and even Tata added such a special touch to the experience. We were part of a two-week long family as opposed to simply tourists.” – Magic & Melanin Inaugural Participant
“I loved building a living community of queens…learning my heritage and building a sense of self, critical conversations, so much laughter joy and healing, beautiful weather and experiences.” – Magic & Melanin Inaugural Participant
“Absolutely indescribable. I did not enter the space with too many misconceptions because I am a traveler in general. However, I had no idea just how much of a pull the land and people would have on me while there and after leaving.” – Magic & Melanin Inaugural Participant
“I am in love. I am so much fuller and joyful having made this trip. I am a new person and I am so grateful for this experience.” – Magic & Melanin Inaugural Participant
Before registering, please make sure you’ve read our requirements:
- The goal of this immersion experience is to help humans of the African diaspora reconnect with their roots, and this is a spiritually awakening experience, not just a regular vacation.
- All participants must be 18 years of age or older.
- The trip is non-refundable. We recommend purchasing a travel insurance package that would refund your trip if needed.
- If you choose the option without a flight, you are responsible for securing your ticket to and from Lomé, Togo.
- If you choose the option with a flight, you are responsible for your travel and transportation to Newark Liberty Airport.
- You are responsible for the costs of your visas, travel insurance (should you choose to get it) and immunization. We will provide you with a Welcome Package after registration which will guide you on this process.
- You must have a valid passport to travel on this trip.
- As a participant of the Magic and Melanin Immersion Experience, you should have an open mind, and be aware that there are many cultural differences that you’ll have to adapt to, including the food and cultural norms. We will have several orientation opportunities to familiarize you with the culture, but it’s essential that you release expectations and get ready to embrace West Africa.
- We will have internet connection in the hotel, but it will not always be available throughout our travels. We’ll recommend pocket wifi’s for those who would like to have it accessible on hand.
- All participants will be sharing a hotel room with one other participant. We will go through a selection process to make sure you’re matched with someone you vibe with.
- We will be doing physical activities such as walking and hiking during this experience, and it is therefore advised to be in healthy physical shape.